Search

2012-02-01

A Spectacular Totoro Painting


This is a truly spectacular painting!  Inspired by My Neighbor Totoro, this painting is rendered in lush detail and wonderful color.  It's challenging to create a great watercolor painting; the best I could muster was to just splatter paint everywhere and make a spectacular mess.

This is easily the best Totoro rendition I've seen, apart from Hayao Miyazaki himself.  And this piece has a certain vitality that is truly unmatched.  I love how the Totoros are so fluffy and furry, the leaves and moss and wood wild with texture.  You can just feel those trees in your hands, can't you?  This painting is thrillingly alive with an expressionist flair.  There's also something in the textures and poses that reminds me of the great Yuri Norstein, but maybe that's just me.

Akreon is the name of the artist, and this comes from his DeviantArt page.  You can find many more works there; I think his Totoro painting is the best.  I'd be thrilled if he created more Ghibli-inspired watercolors like this.  A series of works based on Miyazaki and Takahata's movies?  Yes, please, I'd like that very much.

As an added bonus, Akreon also shot a time-lapse video of the creation of his Totoro painting.  Very impressive!  Consider this your art lesson for the week, kids.


No comments:

More Ghibli Blog Posts To Discover